Saturday, May 28, 2011

Look who came to join our family!

Chicks! Little baby chicks. Don't ask me who is whom (waiting to match the personality with the name), but I introduce to you: Eliza Jane, Alice, Lena, Minnie, Ida, and Hetty!

Brand new chicks in their new home.

Yep. I finally wore Jim down. ☺ He wasn't really thrilled with the idea, thinking that they will eventually be his responsibility. Not that it's ever happened before, but in my defense, those ducks weren't mine either! A few weeks ago, I talked to him about it again. I wanted to be in full agreement. I wouldn't do it if he was dead set against chickens.


 He stopped what he was working on (sweet man that he is), we cleaned out the duck coop (which the dogs have been using as their dog house) and Jim built nesting boxes (not that we need them yet). We decided to put them right in the chicken coop because, believe me, it was safer than the house! Two very interested dogs and a cat. I keep a close eye on the nightime temp in case I need to bring them in for the night. They have a heat lamp and their house is very tight, warm, and cozy.

The like to sit on the edge of the nesting boxes. Practicing their roosting techniques.
Then I decided that maybe we didn't have the money to buy and feed chickens. Then I changed my mind. The cost is pretty minimal actually. So last Friday, Jim had to pick up a few things at our local farm store and asked if I wanted to go. "And get my chickens?" I asked. And we came home with six cute little chicks.

All snuggled in for the night last night.

I'll keep you all updated!!

Taken just this morning. Look at those feathers coming in!


Next up: a garden. We haven't planted a garden in several years. Weeds, allergies, lack of time. This year's the year to begin again though. We're starting small. Wish us luck! If we can ever get it planted. If this darn rain doesn't quit we may have lakeside property...



We're becoming regular farmers!

12 comments:

  1. I love them, so cute and fragile. And the feathers are so smooth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so nice and clean and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! We had chickens when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Good for you for taking the plunge! I begged my parents for chickens when I was young, but they never agreed. :( Raising chickens is on my to-do list if I ever get a house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking little chicks..I like their names:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What adorable little chicks - I'm glad Jim finally relented because I can hear the excitement in your post.

    Have fun! And...I like their names - you're good in the name department!

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gardening. The chicks look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,

    I see that you have stopped by my place and signed on..how sweet of you..I had to just pop on over and visit with you..the chicks...how adorable...a girl after my own heart...6 little darlin's...we don't have the provisions for them, and we live in the city...or else I would do the same..maybe someday..looking forward to see how you do with them and watching them grow...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chicks are so cute..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 10 new chicks to be replacements for my older layers.. they are cute! So are yours. I'll take pictures soon of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww, how adorable! I love baby chicks! I always want to pick them up and hold them. lol

    Are you going to get a rooster now so you can have fresh eggs? Or will these chickees be used for your food?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day a little brighter! ☼

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.